Pachinko: Ruining Lives For Several Decades And Counting

If Satan has a summer home, away from the fiery confines of earth’s dark entrails, it is surely in a pachinko parlor somewhere in
Pachinko parlor parking lots, even in the most rural of settings, will often be full at
When stepping through the electronic sliding doors of a pachinko parlor, you are instantly bitch-slapped across the face by the deafening hum of the machines; the ping-pang beeping of the flashing consoles and the incessant rattling made by thousands of small, pre-purchased steel balls. Players drop these tiny spheres into the money-stealing apparatuses in hoping that they will pass through a range of pins, and fall, not straight through to the bottom as is the norm, but into certain gates that in turn pay out more balls for you to squander away. The gamblers do so with repetitive, mind-numbing persistence, and often have plastic crates, piled full of the small steel balls, stacked at their feet. They play until they are left broke and destitute, and willing to sell their first born child for a chance to redeem themselves. The decibel level within these havens for the dim-witted of society is greater than that of the loudest nightclubs, preventing players from being able to converse with one another, and hence causing them to continue gambling away their children’s dental-funds uninterrupted.
As you clutch at your bleeding ears to try to block out the clattering rumpus, you can’t help but notice that you are nearly suffocating from the dense clouds of cigarette smoke hanging in the air. The smoke is so thick in fact, that you can eat it with a spoon – and I have on several occasions. Like most Japanese establishments, pachinko parlors seem to be un-ventilated; a thick haze of death looming over the heads of the expressionless gamblers like a rain-filled cloud sitting lazily over a depressing village, about to dump its weight on the unhappy people below. Every hour spent in a pachinko parlor is another year of your life taken away. Some of the gamblers staring passively at their machines are in fact dead, just going through some sort of post-mortem arm twitching, allowing them to continue inserting the steel balls. Creatures of habit, they are.
Despite the fact that pachinko parlors are spread across
One possible reason why the police don’t enforce the gambling laws may lie in the fact that pachinko parlors are largely controlled by organized crime; both by the Japanese and Korean mafia. Yes, organized crime and gambling; forever hand in hand like Michael Jackson and vulnerable children.
Regardless of who is running the pachinko parlors, their endeavors have been successful. Watching the pathetic people squander away their time, health and money while sitting inside the smoky gaming rooms is more painful than having a botched vasectomy; their burning cigarettes hanging from their half-open mouths while ash falls onto their crotches; staring at the flashing lights, their eyes un-blinking. It reminds me a bit of Christmas dinner with my family.
One of my cherished past-times during these past few months has been to go to the local pachinko parlor to watch the enraptured gamblers – sometimes for hours on end. I’ll park myself at my favourite machine, buy several hundred dollars’ worth of steel balls (I’m there anyway so I might as well play, right?), and try to strike up conversation with the preoccupied people at the neighbouring consoles – trying to pick their brains; wondering what makes them tick. They rarely say more than a few words to me, responding in un-enthusiastic grunts and smoky exhales of emotional pain. I usually end up talking to my blinking machine instead, shoving steel balls into the greedy bitch until she’s devoured the remaining money from my previous paycheck or until I’ve fallen asleep, my face pressed up against the beeping console, woken by a security guard blowing smoke in my face at closing time.
As I stumble outside into the early morning light, broke and hungry, I tell myself ‘never again’ - but that segment of society is just so intriguing to me – I can’t help but return for another look – just a little bit more sociological research. Now I’m battling a bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome, the ping-panging machines are constantly echoing in my tired mind, and I’ve never felt so unhealthy since taking up smoking. Mom, send more money please.
Further Pachinko Facts Taken From ‘Japan Zone’:
-it employs a third of a million people in
-it commands 40 percent of
-and, 30 million regular enthusiasts coughed up almost 30 trillion yen in 1999 (a higher turnover than the car industry)


6 Comments:
I resent that comment about Christmas dinner with family. And you didn't think any of us were reading this stuff!
I think you're treading a fine line with this blog business....so far you have managed to piss off the porn addicts, and now the Mafia. Are you loco?
With respect to the last posting, and your comments about Canada having some of the most strict anti-kiddie-porn law enforcement, it's ironic, but I just watched a documentary about American and European men who travel to Canada to get it on with 14 year old kids who have been lured into online relationships. In most countries this is illegal, but in Canada, the legal age of consent is 14 (as opposed to 16 in most other civilized nations) and these pedophiles are untouchable. The RCMP sets up some pretty elaborate sting opperations to catch the dirty bastards, but at the end of the day, 45 year old man + 15 year old girl = legal (as long as she says she consented to it and he isn't in a "position of authority").
Anyway, I think the annonymous kiddie-porn defender has a few screws loose, and he certainly isn't alone in Japan.
Watch your back. The Pachinko Mafia is everywhere.
And the porn peddlers are close behind.
Missing you at family dinner!
10:25 PM
Good job on this one too Eric..! You did forget to mention some of the ridiculous names that these pachinko parlours adorn themselves with... ie. Jenny Crazy, SPAZ, etc. Its really a sad state of affairs with gambling in this country. Ever seen the "medal" machines inside of arcades? It's like gambling: you pay to play gambling machines, but you win some kind of medals. Not too sure about it... maybe you could check that one out next?
Some pachinko places (fewer now) have "eurobeat" music blaring from all over the place... guess it gets people excited?
Boy, your christmas dinners sound like hell...
6:48 PM
I've always known you to be susceptible to addiction.
-M.
7:14 PM
Thanks guys!
Casey, I haven't found any Pachinko parlors that play Eurobeat techno yet, but I'll keep an eye out for them when I embark on my cross-country Pachinko tour - stopping to play at each parlor in Japan. They must be some kind of 'high-cultured' parlors only found in your neck of the woods.
Mark, yes, I'm always fallin' off the wagon, aren't I?
7:35 PM
G’day Eric,
It’s been a while and we have been meaning to catch up. Great idea this blog, and a good way to post photos as well!
Several of your stories bring back some fond memories that we have wanted to share with you. Finally have some time now and so we’ll start by recalling your notes about the Japanese fascination with occidental male reproductive parts and grabbing handfuls thereof. I’d forgotten all about this until you wrote about your students’ and peers’ queries and their going for your gonies with gusto.
Your story set me to reminiscing about my childhood out at the lake where my four older brothers and I would chase each other around threatening to “prune” (i.e., grab a handful and squeeze) one another. We occasionally did really catch each other and follow through with the threat. You have to remember that we didn’t have many other forms of entertainment out there other than humiliating each other, and I don’t think we would have stopped the practice until our mother caught us in the act and suggested that we cease and desist for the sake of future generations (lucky you!). Our two younger sisters, not being properly “equipped” of course, didn’t participate in this insanity, nor could they understand (and neither could the boys) how and why this practice got started.
I had again forgotten (Alzheimer’s or traumatic amnesia?) all about this until we went back to New Zealand for a while to visit some friends that have two boys aged three and six years old. Long story short, I got an absolute surprise attack “pruning” by the three year old - he looks so sweet and innocent that I just didn’t see it coming! The six year old had threatened to “get my gibley-nuts” and so I was able to fend him off, but the three year old caught me off guard about two hours later. He helped himself to a handful just after dinner while I was sitting down in a nice comfy sofa with all of the others – I almost died of embarrassment while everyone else almost died of laughter. Can’t do much to reprimand a three year old, especially when he isn’t yours and you're a guest in his parents’ house.
And now that I think of it, while I was in South Korea, local guys would also try to peep, peek and spy on our occidental repro-parts in places like public toilets (hangin’ out at the urinal), and Korean style saunas and baths where my work mates and I would relax after work. None of them ever went any further than voyeurism though – perhaps anything more would be too difficult to explain as normal human curiosity / too disgraceful an act upon a non-consenting adult. Who knows?
I guess what I’m getting at is that the Japanese don’t necessarily have a monopoly on this curious goney-grabbing behavior (not suggesting that you might have been suggesting this). Perhaps we could apply to the Canadian government for funding to conduct an intensive, years-long world-wide study (5 star all expenses paid of course) of this phenomenon. I’m sure our tax dollars have been used to pursue several other less worthy courses of research.
Your latest missive regards pachinko brings back several fond memories. We were watching one fabulously successful player for a while – he had the rate at which those steel balls dropped through the pegs dialed in just perfectly and was making a killing until the proprietor gave him a “congratulatory” slap on the back, screamed offerings of drinks and smokes at him at the top of his lungs and did whatever else he could to put him off his game. Poor bugger lost his nerve, cashed up and left.
Japan really is a great place to visit though - great food, interesting people, and lots to see and do in that fine country. Just wish they could figure out how to make artificial whale meat and perhaps allow refugee immigration from countries less fortunate . . .
Played your 2005 CD to a UK couple last night while were having dinner and they loved it – the dinner and your CD, that is.
Love your essays, an inspiration to us all.
Take care and lots of love,
Blossy and Lulu
12:32 AM
Hey Derek and Laurel,
Wow, great comments! Thanks for the nice words and the reminiscing of times past. It's good to know that the Japanese aren't the only ones to be interested in occidental private parts. Otherwise it would just be too creepy....
Knowing that it's a world-wide phenomenon helps me sleep a bit better at night.
Derek, I'd join you on a government-funded sociological study of the testicle-grabbing segments of various cultures abroad anytime! As long as it is a 'five-star' waste of tax-payer's money, that is.
Hope you're doing well,
Eric
8:40 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home